Search the catalogue
Fredrika is a union catalogue for eleven municipal libraries in Vaasa coastal region in Finland.
The municipalities are bilingual (Swedish/Finnish). The book collections reflect the linguistic composition of the municipalities. Altogether there are over 1 million books in the Fredrika libraries. The union catalogue is updated with records once a week while the borrowing status of the books is continually updated.
Fredrika functions as a network, consisting of equal member libraries with no central library.
Number of member libraries with branch libraries and mobile libraries: 51
Number of staff in the libraries: 87
The Database is located at a software company (Abilita) in Jakobstad.
Specialities in Fredrika in general
- 1st free public library Internet www-catalogue in Finland
- Books published in Swedish and Finnish in Finland
- Books published in Sweden
- Books about Finland and Scandinavia
- Networking & co-operation between libraries
The municipal libraries in the union catalogue are:
- Jakobstad with 19,623 inhabitants
- Korsholm 18,868 inhabitants
- Korsnäs 2,249 inhabitants
- Kristinestad 7,096 inhabitants
- Kronoby 6,681 inhabitants
- Larsmo 4,921inhabitants
- Malax 5,614 inhabitants
- Nykarleby 7,516 inhabitants
- Närpes 9,412 inhabitants
- Pedersöre 10,937 inhabitants
- Vörå 6,743 inhabitants
Together these municipalities have about 100,000 inhabitants, of whom 78 % are Swedish speakers and a further 21% Finnish speakers. Swedish is a minority language in Finland, spoken by about 300,000 of the country's 5 Million inhabitants. Finland is officially a bilingual country.
Interlibrary Loans from libraries within Fredrika must be requested directly from a member library, using e-mail. Loans are only made to other libraries - not directly to private users.